Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day - LTC Fred W. O'Nions USAF (Ret)

Another Memorial day and another time to remember those who have served our country. This year I am actually remembering one in particular.

On May 16, 2008, I had the privilege of seeing someone who was an inspiration to me laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. LTC Fred W. O'Nions USAF (Ret)





More Pictures can be found here http://www.grumpydude.com/gallery/Arlington

LTC Fred W. O'Nions (the colonel) was a special man. He had been a navigator in WWII and when he was finished with his Active Duty service he became a JROTC instructor. He shaped the lives of many a young teenager. He affected so many people as shown by the amount of people who were able to show up to see him to laid to rest. The Colonel as the cadets called him was always full of happiness and bad jokes. Even when he was in a bad mood he would still find a way to make people laugh. He would always find time to talk to you about whatever and he always had worthy advice. Even if it didnt always make sense at the time


He tried to teach his cadets things that they would be able to take with them whether they went into the military or not. Leadership, Diplomacy, Survival skills and how to direct traffic at football games and other events:) Although Colonel I still wish I could have got the recipe for your raccoon chili - although I think I will survive without it.

At his service there were many cadets, ranging from his very first class in 1979 to his very last class in 1999. The Colonel made his mark on all those he taught. I have many fond memories of high school and most of it is because of JROTC and the friends I made there. I learned a lot from the Colonel and from his partner MSgt Grady Wilson.


The Colonel will be sorely missed. But he led a great life and I hope wherever he goes next that they like bad jokes.

I will offer this to you if you have never been to the Arlington National Cemetery you need to go. Its a sobering sight to see all the people who have died for our country. And the other part to this is there is still room for more.



So this memorial day while you are BBQ'ing and throwing back beers and playing with your family and friends please remember those that gave their all so that we could have this holiday and the freedoms that come with it.

I ask you also to take a moment and think of those that are overseas still fighting in a war that most dont agree with. If you see someone in uniform be sure to thank them for defending our country and for helping other countries to try and be free. If you see someone selling poppies please buy one. That money goes to helping those who are in the Veterans Hospitals. They need all the help they can get.

Please have a safe weekend and enjoy your loved ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jackie, what I dignified posting. Thank you very much. I still have a gun casing beside my bed. I miss having talks with him. About every other time I went to Dover, I stopped by his house. I miss his counsel, I knew he was one of the few officers who were interested in our success. Keep in touch!