Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Knitting Olympics

The things people will come up with.

The 2006 Knitting Olympics Eligibility:
Any knitter who, embracing the "Citius, Alitius Fortius" ideal, would like to challenge themselves while embracing the Olympic spirit, and is just whacked enough to play along with me.
Concept:
You must cast on a project during the Opening Ceremonies of the Winter Olympics (Feb 10)- and finish before the Olympic flame goes out (Feb 26). That's 16 days.
Rules:
1. The project must be a challenge for you to complete in 16 days.

2. There are no rules about what a challenge would be. Like the real Olympics, there are many areas to compete in. If you are a new knitter, then a garter stitch baby sweater might do...If you are experienced, well. I've already considered Torino. Use your own conscience.

3. While this is intended to be somewhat difficult (like the Olympics) it is not intended to ruin your life. Don't set yourself up for failure. (Olympic athletes may cry, but they do not whine pitifully, sob and threaten members of their family with pointed sticks because they haven't slept in five days. ) This is intended to (like the Olympics) require some measure of sacrifice, and be difficult, but it should be possible to attain.

4. No casting on before the flame is lit.
5. Finish before the flame goes out.
6. You may swatch before the games. (I consider this "training.")

for complete rules go here....
http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/

---
so im thinking of this I just need to find something that will be a challenge to complete in 16 days.
a sweater definitely but which one?
the woman who made up the rules is making this one
Hardangervidda

That looks a little too much for me but I think I would like to make a sweater that I would actually wear.
So I will keep you posted. I have a couple of weeks to figure it out:)
---
my hand is not broken but is still swollen - my Dr is sending me to an orthopedist, so we'll see what they say.
==my parents dog has been with me since thursday.
we've had some issues.
the first couple days she just peed on the floor without asking to go out.
we got over that and now she kinda asks.
she is old and cranky and deaf.
she is a cocker spaniel mix and as you may know cocker spaniels have ear problems throughout their life.
well last night we had an incident.
my husband was eating the dog was getting overzealous in her begging and i called her to go into the kitchen but she wasnt listening or could not hear me - the verdict is still out on how deaf she actually is.
at any rate i went to grab her collar and take her into the kitchen and she growled at me bared her teeth and bit me all in 3 seconds. she did not bite me and even if she did i know she is up to date on her shots (as am i)
however it was the principle of the matter and it did hurt.
she knew she did bad though and this time when i told her to get in the kitchen she went.
She is going home to my moms cousin today.
My parents come back sometime next week.
===
My daughter is feeling better and actually ate formula yesterday for Elisa.
So she is back at daycare today. Daddy took her. I hope she will be ok and will be able to keep food down *crosses fingers*

2 comments:

Ilanna said...

i'll be lucky if i finish the blanket i started a few weeks ago by end of the olympics let along starting a new project. :) I might have to buy size 50 needles just to have a hope of having enough patience to finish a project that quickly. :)

Carol said...

Thanks for the encouragement vis-a-vis entrelac. I'm nervous ... but Stephanie did say we could swatch. So I'll swatch ... Sorry to hear about the issues with the dog. Probably best for all concerned that the dog went a-visiting until the parents come home.