So I learned a very important lesson today.
this is that while i am very personable and have great communication skills
i suck at interviewing and selling myself.
As most of you know I am a contractor and am I trying to get hired on full time.
However I had my interviews this week one with my boss and one with HR.
They both went well and I was comfortable and usually I am not.
I guess because I know the people helps.
But I absolutely suck at what people are looking for I dont know the answers to give
I try to answer as honestly as possibly while stretching the truth just a little bit.
I can sell just about anything else but not myself.
A little background... to get this job as a contractor I did a phone interview
Here is the conversation-
Headhunter: Hey I found your resume on Monster and see you have some desktop experience and Lotus Notes experience
Me: Yes I do its been awhile but I am familiar with it and can support it.
Headhunter: Can you start Monday at 8am?
Me: I have plans on Monday but I can start Tuesday.
Headhunter: ok let me check if thats ok.
Me: Ok
2nd call:
Headhunter: They really need you to start monday when can you be in?
Me: noon?
Headhunter: Ok
----
And then he proceeds to give me all the details of the job and who I am to meet with.
So you see there was no real interview
On paper I look great and when you meet with me and work with me I am wonderful
I cannot sell myself in an interview to save my life.
That interview would go so something like this
Interviewer: So why should we let you live?
Me: Because I am a good person and have good communication skills.
Interviewer: Hmm... Ok if we let you live what will you be able to bring to society?
Me: My winning personality and charm.
Interviewer: Ok thank you very much you will know within 2-3 weeks what we have decided.
Me: Ok thank you
and in three weeks... id probably not be alive anymore.
sigh.
i hate interviews.
and i so confident going into these things.
begging however is not professional.
i have a party to go to tonight in dover for an old boss it should be interesting if not fun.
but right now im gonna go cry.
please keep your fingers crossed for me and wish me luck that i do get this job.
but please dont hold your breath i dont need all of my friends turning pretty colors and passing out:)
update=
jaimie pointed out that i didnt actually explain why i felt i didnt do well.
well both Bill my Boss and John HR guy -alluded to the fact that there is/may be a better candidate in the pool of people they received from Monster.com.
this sucks. i was the last interview.
so if they found this person first i was screwed anyway.
i just dont understand why they would take someone who hasnt been working here over someone who has been working here for 6 months and knows how everything works. the worst part is that if they do hire someone else i will probably be asked to help train him.
grrrr....
*sniff*
ok i have to be optimistic they havent decided yet.
there is still hope.
Friday, January 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment