Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The English Language are hard...

I have not had a decent rant on here lately have I?

Well you will get one, it might be a bit confusing but I am so freaking irritated.

As most of you know I work as a Computer Technician. I fix computers for a living. And I honestly like it. I like the people I work with and I like our customers.
However what I do not like is our helpdesk.

Before I got this job, I worked on a helpdesk for different companies.

I liked being on the helpdesk, I like talking to people and I like helping people, these are two things that are a requirement for being on the helpdesk. Now the other thing that I think is most important in being on the helpdesk is being competent and literate.

Apparently the majority of our helpdesk personnel are neither.

I receive tickets all the time that do not have the required or necessary information in the tickets.
The information the is missing are things like - what the problem is, where the customer is located or what the error message is.
I also get tickets where the helpdesk does no troubleshooting or anything and just passes the ticket along without even trying or looking to see if they could resolve the problem.
We also receive tickets with bad grammar, spelling and sometimes I am not even sure it is English - American or British.

ex: Denise is calling because she is having problems printing, She is not unable to print anything because when she sends something to print,nothing happens and usually happens right after she cancels a print job, the printer itself is fine.
Denise is on the 2nd flr, Denise needs her printer right away to get her reports and applications printed.

Now by the first statement she is having problems printing.
But by the second half of the sentence (which is a run-on and should be a separate sentence) they use a double negative which means everything is fine, right?
And the middle half of this sentence just doesn't make any sense at all.

This is what I deal with everyday. So instead of calling someone and knowing exactly what the problem they are having is, I have to call the customer and have them tell me again what is going on.

It is frustrating for me and for the customer.
I get complaints about them all the time.
Now the good thing is all these people are in the US, it is not an outsourced helpdesk. But with English like that I am not sure it is any better.

I get complaints from customers all the time that these people don't know what they are doing or what they are talking about.
The helpdesk gives information the is wrong or incomplete. Basically I think because they don't want to deal with it.

Now if your job or business ran that way would you have people coming to your business?
No I don't think so.
So its no wonder I get calls directly from people who are trying to bypass the helpdesk. The helpdesk isn't helpful.

GRRR!!!!!!

I know if you graduated high school in the US you took English. I don't expect perfect English or punctuation but I do expect a certain amount of spell checking and proofreading.
I also expect a certain amount of typos, it happens.
I guess I am expecting too much.
Oh well -
I am all ranted out

I will put a pic up later tonight of the sleeve I am working on.
til then Spell check is your friend.

No comments: