Monday, June 26, 2006

Life or Death

How do you choose for someone else?

How do you decide the fate of another living being?

As you know my kitty has been having issues. We thought she was better but she isnt.
She is getting worse again.
How do you decide enough is enough and all you are doing is prolongin the inevitable?

Am I selfish because I want my kitty alive? Am I a horrible person because my cat's life is dependent on my checkbook?
I've already invested 720 dollars into my kitty I have dipped into what is our vacation fund.
Ive had my father tell me to kill the cat in those exact words.
I have the vet telling me to divorce my husband because he doesnt like the cat.
I have my hubby who is being very supportive through the whole thing but still thinks the cat should be put down.

I love my cat but she is not doing well she is not acting like my kitty anymore. She still fights me when I try to give her meds but she is not acting like a healthy cat and she isnt eating.

My vet doesnt seem to understand I have no money left.
I have 3 other pets and baby to take care of ...
Does this make me an awful person cuz it sure as hell feels like it.

I am not taking this well.
And I am not sure what else to do. I have a feeling I am going to have to fight my vet to get the cat put down.
And I cant do that.
but I also cannot keep doing what i am doing.

The other thing that I keep hoping for is that this decision will be taken out of my hands.
But that makes me feel guilty also.

So please excuse the blubbering mess of a woman sitting in a corner avoiding decisions of life or death.

2 comments:

Ilanna said...

I know we've talked about this somewhat already. You also need to consider the psychological ramifications of coming home from work one day and having her be gone.

If your vet is fighting you on putting her down though, then it could be 1 of two things. Either the vet honestly thinks the cat will put out, or the vet tends to be militant about pet care and support. WHich sometimes is good, but it's not always what's best for your pet.

There was a story on the radio - not sure if you heard it. A couple had brought in their 2 year old german shepherd to be put down. The dog had continous Debilitating seizures. Someone in the vet's office decided they were being cruel, and while the family watched and THOUGHT the dog was being put down, they really just sedated the dog and then gave him to another family. Who ended up having to put him down 3 days later because he really was that sick.

Finances aside, the rule is in my family "when the dog can no longer be a dog then it's time." The same goes for the cat. And that's something to think of. The fact that hubby is being supportive (knowing how much he doesn't like the cat) is a wonderful thing and shows how much he loves you. In my family, finances are never supposed to be a consideration when deciding life or death. IN all honesty, finances aside - I think its time...

*HUUUGS* and good luck sweetie.

Anonymous said...

*hugs* It always sucks when you have to make decisions like that. I think my family has been fortunate that we've never really had to make those decisions, because the pets have gone quickly enough that while it was in the back of our minds sometimes, we never had to act on it.
That being said, at the point your vet is recommending a divorce, it's time to get a new vet. May I ask what vet that is so I know to never go there?