Thursday, June 29, 2006

Dear Vet

Dear Vet
I regret to inform you that I will be leaving and seeking another place to take my animals for their healthcare. I have been bringing my animals to you for the last 8 years. Granted the last couple of years I have been unable to bring them in for a couple of years because I have been unemployed and unable to afford adequate care for them.
I understand your point of view that I am horrible person for putting myself and my family’s health and welfare before my animals. I understand because you are all very concerned about the safety of animals. I assure you that my animals are well cared for and are much loved. They have been able to eat well even when I was eating ramen and tuna fish.
However the reason I am leaving is not because you care so much for the animals but because you didn’t care enough about me. As a doctor there is definitely a need for the utmost care and concern for the animals well being. However, there needs to be a balance of animal care and concern for the human who takes care of that animal.
The way I was treated in my recent emergency with Nikita has left me emotionally and financially drained. I am also slightly traumatized because I have lost my pet. Yes I had Nikita put down. She was having mini seizures and was drooling uncontrollably and did not recognize me anymore. I could not go through another phase of being given false hope. At the SPCA I was told it looked like she had suffered Neurological damage. There is no way Nikita was going to get better and I couldn’t afford another 200 dollars for you to tell me this. My financial needs were not even a consideration – you have to understand if there had been hope for my kitty I would have found a way but there was no longer any hope. And it was unfair to me and to Nikita to keep prolonging the inevitable. Nikita was not only my pet but she was my best friend and could always make me feel better with a head butt. My kitty was suffering and was no longer able to recognize me. I made the hardest decision of my life this past week. And it has left me an emotional wreck. The past two weeks have let me an emotional wreck and I have decided I can no longer deal with the way pet owners in your establishment are treated. Since I brought Kita in for her emergency everyone has been treating and looking at me like I am the worst person in the world for bringing in my kitty in that condition.
I hope in the future you will take the owner’s emotions into consideration because I did not feel that mine were even factored into the equation.
So I will be finding a new vet and I will have them contact you for Teuful, Dino and Sluggy.

Sincerely
Jackie

Do you think I should send it?

5 comments:

Ilanna said...

you should DEFINITELy send it - but i think you left some out.

I think you need to let them know that it is *NOT* only the doctor's decision, and the refusal to a) work with you to make that decision b) get approval for expensive and prolonged treatment, and c) not share the realities with you is absolutely criminal, and I think they need to know in detail some of the other issues you encountered...

but that's me...

*HUUUGS*

Anonymous said...

Do you really need to ask what I think? If you ask me I think you were way to nice. But that is just me.

Echrai said...

Send it! send it! send it!!! There was NO excuse for that vet to treat you in such a manner. It's traumatic enough to lose your best friend... to treat you as if your decision to put the poor cat out of her misery made you a bad person - or worse, as if you were the cruel one, is completely an utterly unfair. Some doctors can get away with bad bedside manners when they have nurses who will deal with the patient and their family. Vets deal with the owners directly and should recognize that. If you had brought in a 100% healthy pet or one that needed a very simple procedure and asked to have it put down, such a response from the vet would have been appropriate. From the condition Kita was in, it was the vet's responsibility to accept your decision and make it as painless as possible for you. They failed completely. And that is horrible. It's easy to say they deserve worse, but I'd have difficulty writing a worse letter for myself. If I were doing it for you, though, I'd be far nastier than you were. Either way, the vet deserves to know. Maybe she'll improve. Maybe she'll write it off. Either way, you've offered her the chance for improvement by stating your issues openly and honestly.

The_Gay_Dude said...

Thanks for dropping by and the warm wishes! Don't be a stranger :)

Holly said...

I have had a yellow lab for 10 years. She is showing signs of old age and I know that soon, there are going to be health issues with her that I can just not afford. I have two kids in college and I'm still paying on loans for the one that graduated. I have no money for animal health care. I am DREADING the day when my vet tells me I need to do this and this and this to keep the dog alive. I know that I will get looked down upon for not taking the necessary measures to keep the beloved family member with us as long as possible. Don't feel guilty. You absolutely did the right thing. Pets are not people. People come first. As for the letter, I'd have sent it.