Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

I know I usually do these write ups for Veterans Day. I looked back and realized I havent written anything in the past for Memorial Day. And this year is a good year as most people arent really talking or thinking about the war going on in Iraq and yes it is still going on in Afghanistan.
Whether you approve or disapprove of the war is not my concern. My concern is that you remember the troops that are over there fighting an unpopular war but they are doing good things as well. They are rebuilding the countries - schools, hospitals and historical places.
We never really get any good news. And you actually have to look for it at times.
Now I will be the first to admit I choose to ignore what is going on over there because I know I will lose sleep at night if I think about it.

But I always think of those who are in the military doing a job noone else wants to do and doing a job that a crazed religious freak wants them to do.
The troops always need your support and the military families at home need your support even more. They have one or more loved ones over seas for months even years on end. I know the military tries not to keep people over there for more than a year but I also know how soldiers are and they re-up to stay over there. Leaving their families to fight for the greater good. The families are strong but they are only so strong. So if you know someone who has a spouse, child, sibling or parent over seas in the military please give them some support. Whether its offering to do something for them, watch the kids, cut the grass or just offer a shoulder. Im sure it would be appreciated.
Remember the war is not the fault of the soldiers it never has been and never will be. It is always decided by someone in a higher authority.

Please dont forget those who fought before either. The veterans out and about selling poppies or asking for change. They fought to make this country free and even though you may not agree with where the country is headed at this moment remember the people have the power to make changes. Thats what makes this country great. So thank your veteran today. Remember those who have fought and died and more importantly remember those who fought and lived. They deserve it.
So while your enjoying the nice summer weather and the bbq's and being with family take a moment to remember those who came before to make it possible for us to have these days off.

To those POWs or MIAs you are not forgotten.

Have a safe happy memorial day.

2 comments:

Ilanna said...

HEAR HEAR (or is that HERE HERE!)

Well written and a wonderful sentiment that I agree with whole-heartedly.

Holly said...

Amen! Well said.